Ordering Info

Take a look at some of my creations and what's on the menu at www.heartofthebatter.com

To order cakes, cupcakes or cake pops please contact me at carina@heartofthebatter.com

You can also find me on facebook by searching Heart of the Batter

Sunday, January 23, 2011

On the Hunt

So once I had it set in my mind that I was going to start my own cake business I went on the hunt for the perfect fondant and icing. Since I've been baking for ages, I had all the cake ingredients covered. But covering and decorating a cake, this was new territory for me.

First I set out to find an icing that I really loved. I know that some people reminisce on their childhood cakes and that thick super sugary frosting and they swoon...unfortunately, I was not one of them. I've always liked lighter cakes with a creamier texture or a nice fruity mousse. But your typical icing recipe produces just that...typical birthday cake icing. I was less than pleased. So I went out on a little cupcake journey. I looked at famous cupcakery's reviews on the internet, went to a few local bakeries with amazing baking experience and qualifications, and I found some icing alternatives...but hadn't really found that IT thing...that thing that makes you go MMMM!

Then I was off on my first trip to New York City. I wasn't sure what I wanted to see, so I asked around. Anyone who knew about my baking told me I ABSOLUTELY had to go to Magnolia Bakery. Now Magnolia is not just known in New York, it has become so well known, that it has been seen in a number of major movies as well as a Sex and the City episode.  Low and behold, one of their bakeries was a mere 4 blocks from my hotel. Well, let me tell you, they certainly have made a name for themselves...there was a line-up around the corner to walk in! So I got a few different flavors to sample and took them back to the hotel for a tasting. One of the cupcakes I chose was red velvet. Now personally, I don't believe in red velvet cake (I will explain this another time). But I thought, everyone is always so hyped about it, I might as well try it. So I took a bite out of my red velvet cupcake with whipped vanilla frosting. I had never heard of whipped frosting before. I will admit...I still don't get people's fanaticism about red velvet cake (nothing against Magnolia, I just didn't see why people would Ooh and Aah over this particular type of cake). Anyways, forgetting about the cake...my first bite...and there it was, that OH MY GOSH moment. Whipped Vanilla frosting had changed my life forever!

As soon as I came home, I needed to find out how to make this frosting. In the process I found out, not only could I make whipped VANILLA frosting, I could make a ton of different flavors. Whipped caramel, and raspberry, and chocolate, OH MY! (Are you drooling yet...?)  So, away I went baking up a storm mixing different cupcake and frosting flavors and trying them out on my friends and family...and I got the same response each time, "Mmm, what did you do to the icing?" Clearly, not just me who sees the merits of this fabulous alternative to a mouthful of sugar high.

On to phase 2. Anyone who has ever tried to frost a cake without a wrinkle or crease will recognize the benefits of fondant. I know, I know, not everyone likes it...but my gosh, the things it can do, and the beauty it can add to a cake. Just like frostings, not all fondants are created equal.
In all other areas I love Wilton, they are cake geniuses. If cakers dream, a lot of them would dream in Wilton. However, their fondant...well, it leaves room for improvement. So as they say...NEEEXXXTTTT!!!
Recently, Charm City Cakes owner Duff Goldman came out with his own line of cake products. Very cool. I ADORE his show 'Ace of Cakes'. The team is immensely creative, and they show you how people who truly love cake decoration can really have a blast doing it. Yes, it can be stressful, and at times, intense, but like any other job, when you love it, every day is a joy! But I digress... So Duff fondant, very nice texture and flavor, comes in a few common colours, good stuff! Only problem; the cost. Holy toledo!  I don't know if its just the cost in Canada, or because its an exclusive to a retailer that is known for being rather expensive...but either way...if I wanted to use this on a regular basis, I would have to sell an 8" round for  3X as much.  OK, so as they say (again)...CLOSE, BUT NO CIGAR.
Then I found out about McCall's. A cake decorating school and store in Toronto. The minute I walked into this place I thought I had died and gone to heaven. Up until this point I was accustomed to 1 aisle in a store that had caking products...McCall's is the Costco of baking and cake decorating.  McCall's has been around for 50+ years, and in that time, they have figured out how to make their own fondant...it is a reasonable cost, it tastes great, has a wonderful smooth texture, AND (bonus) it comes in over 10 colours and even a few different flavours! So, as they say (haha) WE HAVE A WINNER!

All of the pieces had fallen into place. I had delicious cake with fabulous icing and (in my opinion) the greatest fondant ever made! I could put my cake decorating skills to use with the best products and ingredients out there. I'll jump down off my soap box now. I suppose the moral of today's story reminds me of a song 'my momma told me, you better shop around'. Until next time...

Happy baking, caking and tasting!
Love and Sprinkles, xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment