Ordering Info

Take a look at some of my creations and what's on the menu at www.heartofthebatter.com

To order cakes, cupcakes or cake pops please contact me at carina@heartofthebatter.com

You can also find me on facebook by searching Heart of the Batter

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Prepare to meet your caker!

Welcome to Heart of the Batter!

Let me start off by telling you a little about myself...
My love of baking began when I was quite young. My Nana is a fantastic baker and was always coming up with creative cookies. I enjoyed watching her bake as child, and knowing anytime we went to visit there would be a new sweet treat to fill our tummies and put smiles on our faces. Now my mom on the other hand...NOT a baker; BUT an incredible cook. My mom hates to bake, I mean, really couldn't see what home made had over the grocery store (she knows better now, haha)...but we would always bake cookies together at Christmas time. I always loved this time of year, and what kid doesn't feel so proud to put out home made cookies for Santa?!


As I got a little older, my mom and I formed the perfect team for hosting gatherings. She'd make dinner and I'd make dessert...and then I started to share my love of baking with my friends. I'd bring a cake or pie for get-togethers, a cookie pack at christmas, cupcakes for birthdays...I loved trying out new flavors and different recipes; but I confess... they never really looked like much. 


Then my aunt started working at a local craft store where they taught cake decorating classes and she kept telling me how each day she'd see the students leaving with such beautiful cakes. Then came another little nudge...giving me the class schedules. So I signed up. As you might have guessed, I was hooked after the first class. I'll admit, I love school anyways, I'm always up for learning something new, but there was just something about decorating cakes...it was like a few hours each week where my mind was just quiet and focused.  


So through my classes I had TONS of cake to share and I'm sure my friends and family put on a few pounds (happily). A close friend of mine saw all the cakes I was creating and asked me (quite bravely, I'd say) if I might make her wedding cake! *GASP* I spent two days making her wedding cake, and it came out quite nicely. Everyone at the wedding was saying how lovely it was and how it was the best wedding cake they'd ever tasted...did I have a business card? And there was the lightbulb moment! 


Over the next few months I gathered a collection of my favorite cakes, experimented with icings and flavor combinations and worked on different decorating methods and techniques. Which brings us to today.
I'd like to continue to share my journey with you through the wonderful world of cake. I would love your suggestions on flavors you'd like to see or products you think are interesting. 


Lastly, I'll admit I have a slightly intense love of cupcakes. I look at cupcakes the way most people look at babies or puppies. So I'll be sharing with you the cupcake of the day with a recipe for you to try at home! 
Thanks for stopping by. Happy baking, caking, and tasting!
Love and Sprinkles
xoxo Carina - Heart of the Batter baker - xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment